Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fruit By the Foot is NOT a Fruit!

Awhile ago I heard on the news? ( ? means I can't remember my source, good thing I do not have to include a bibliography with this post). So I'll sound more confident and let's just say ... I heard on the news that lots of kids don't know the names of the common fruits and vegetables found at the grocery store.

I wasn't at all surprised to hear this , a little sad but not surprised. My kids know the names of the fruits and veggies we eat but since I avoid taking them with me to the grocery store, at all costs, I was certain that they had no idea the names of most fruits and veggies at the store.

So me being such an awesome mother? - again note the questioning tone being used - I decided that I would take my kids to the store and teach them about produce. On top of that awesomeness -sarcasm- I decided we (the fam) needed to try different fruits and veggies.

So here was our first experiment.
Dragon fruit - tasted like lightly sweetened celery, but it is really pretty! So much so that I had to take a pic.
Note this pic was taken at least 2 months ago, so ... I guess I am not that awesome, since I only experimented once. I may restart when I move?

1 comment:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

On the "todays show" once there was this lady who lost a bunch of weight and she talked about how when she was big, she would give her kids the 'fruit snacks' and consider that fruit. Like those fruity little animals were actual fruit. She since wised up and lost over 100lbs. Now feeds her kids real fruit.

Fruit by the foot sure isn't realy fruit, but I still love it. Remember in Elementary school we would wrap it around our fingers and suck it off.