Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Little Flattery Can Go a Long Way.

So I get a phone call tonight that goes as follows:
Me : Hello.
Lady : Is your mom or dad there?
(Yes! I sound like a young girl!)
Me : uhhhhhhhh, I am the mom or dad.
Lady : You sounds so young, laugh laugh.
Me : Laugh , laugh oh, thank you that makes me feel good.
Lady : Can I ask you to volunteer your time to canvas 25 houses in your ......... blah, blah, blah.
(I listened and was polite about it, after all she totally complimented me)
Me : No thank you .... Blah, blah, blah.
Lady : May I ask why?
(now normally this is the part where I freak out on the lady and tell her it is ABSOLUTELY NONE of her business why I POLITELY said no. But instead I said,
Me : Well I volunteer at least 2 hours a week at church and school and my husband volunteers minimum 10 hours a week, so I am not going to volunteer for you.
Lady : Okay, thanks, bye.

So my entire point is, I didn't freak on her because a little flattery goes a long way.

1 comment:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

It would have been funny if she would have said "Is your wife home?". Lucky you don't have a man voice.